We were fortunate enough to talk ish with Rap Artist…Nick Astro!!! Nick Astro is an aspiring artist with such a unique but yet a creative style of thinking. What caught our attention about Nick Astro is how he’s so straight forward and original when it comes to his music. He speaks on all subject matters that he feels is important enough for him to discuss without holding anything back. Lets get to know Nick Astro…
3 Voices: Introduce yourself to the world. Let the people know who Nick Astro is and what Nick Astro does.
- Nick Astro: Hey, I’m Nick Astro and I love talking in 3rd person. Because essentially I’m 3 people, I make movies, write songs and perform live in front of give or take 10 to 14 people on a nightly basis.
3 Voices: What inspired you to become an artist?
- Nick Astro: Most people hate speeches, everybody hates writing papers, I figured making a rap song was my best shot at having folks jump up and down to me singing about my infatuation with Scarlett Johansson. Or have people listen to me tell the story about me losing my virginity. Imagine what else I can do.
3 Voices: Who are some artists that have influenced your music career?
- Nick Astro: Stevie Wonder is first that comes to mind when it comes to influence because my mom would play his music a lot when Iwas a child; a combination of his voice and the lyrics being sung is a snapshot of magic to me. It’s very nostalgic for me too and that takes it over the top. Others, Nina Simone, Marvin Gaye, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Andre 3000, Eminem, Kanye, Frank Ocean, Jonathan McReynolds and a ton of battle rappers.
3 Voices: What makes Nick Astro stand out from most artists? What are some things you typically discuss in your music?
- Nick Astro: I stand out because I stand out I guess, it’s inevitable, I mean we all have different DNAs, different preferences etc and I embrace mines, which I can bet has a 90% chance of being different than yours and a lot of other people. I get that some artist has similarities but I ask the question are those folks really embracing their distinct perspective? Or are they afraid of actually being alone, having an opinion, disagreeing with the popular stance and in return succumbing to the invisible pressures of society to be a clone, to fit in , to obey what you’re being told? I don’t ‘know but it’s arguable. I have a secret to how I write songs, not going to say what that is but if folks listen to the music with an open mind they’ll piece together the puzzle.
3 Voices: If given opportunity to work with three artists in the music industry, which artists would you want to collaborate on a song with?
- Nick Astro: Erykah Badu…Pharell and Juelz Santana.
3 Voices: You recently created a documentary called “Circle of Life,” where you spoke on the importance of being you and eventually taking over, asSimba did in the Lion King. Currently, who do you feel is the “Mufasa” meaning the most dominant artist that has pretty much taken over the Hip Hop/Rap music industry?
- Nick Astro: Nobody…the Mufasa in my opinion is the group of folks that wrote the bible. I know that has nothing to do with rap music but in regards to rap I don’t think no one has quite mirrored the superior stature of a wild Lion like Mufasa…nope. If you combined Jay-z, Drake and Kendrick together maybe, but that’s never going to happen unless in 10 years the scientific brains create a machine that allows 3 people to join and create one human being. But then again that will be a disgusting looking person so that probably wouldn’t work either.
3 Voices: Tell us about your upcoming EP, “Listen To New Music”. When can we expect to hear it?
- Nick Astro: It’ll be in the brand new year. Whenever I get this grant from Rahm Emanuel, we’ll be in good shape to finish the mixing/mastering and we’ll drop that hot thang. I’m not joking about that grant either, that’s, like I’m actually being serious about that.
3 Voices: What’s next for you? Are there any exclusives you can share with us?
- Nick Astro: Whew, like my exclusive 3 song Ep with Tyler The Creator? Like my short film “Loiter with Nick & Dee”? Like my record “Circle Of Life” featuring Daryn Alexus & Sam Trump produced by Dee Lilly. Like these 3 records outside of the Ep Dee Lilly and I made called “The Ellen Show”, “Lupita”& “Time”. Like my next single entitled…I already gave you too much.
3 Voices: How can the people reach out to you on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and etc.?
- Nick Astro: Everything is @NickAstro, that’s for Twitter & Instagram. But really for all purposes go to my website, www.nickastro.co
- Thank you 3 Voices for this interview.
And there you have it! You heard it all from Nick Astro himself! Be sure to follow Nick Astro on all social media sites and check out his official website, www.nickastro.co. Much success to you Nick Astro and keep in touch!
Check out Nick Astro “Circle Of Life” Documentary:
Check out Nick Astro “Magic Carpet”: