Photo by Tito G.
Last year’s AAHH! Fest was a huge event featuring the likes of Jennifer Hudson, MC Lyte, Diggy Simmons, Dave Chappelle, Rhymefest, Common, & even Kanye West. This year the festival will be going down September 23rd in Union Park from 12pm to 5pm.
AAHH! Fest is brought to you by Common’s Common Ground Foundation in collaboration with Donda’s House. As well as having big names perform, they also offer a community showcase highlighting local talent in Chicago. They will be holding auditions for the showcase start tomorrow from 5pm-9pm on the Northside at Alternatives Inc located at 4370 N. Sheridan Rd. The 2nd auditions are on August 15th from 11am-2pm at Cornell Square located at 1809 W. 50th St. Admission to both is $5.
Below are the audition rules via Donda’s House:
Youth between the ages of 10 – 24 years old, are invited to audition for a chance to represent the best of the city, earn incentives and prizes (all ages) with the biggest prize being a chance to open up the AAHH! Fest Mainstage (must be at least 18 years old)!
(1) Performances & music must be clean!
(2) Competing artists must show proof of age (via State ID, Driver’s License or Birth Certificate)!
(3) Please bring your music on a USB drive or CD (acapella performances are welcome)!
(4) We welcome singers, rappers, poets & dancers!
(5) Sign-up happens once doors open for the event and each performer is allowed to perform one song or one piece (not to exceed 5 minutes)! Unfortunately, we do not allow pre-sign up & can not accommodate any artists outside of the allotted slots for each event.
(6) Both Groups and Individuals are welcome!
(7) If you ARE NOT selected as a finalist at a particular audition, we invite you to come out to another audition. If you ARE selected as a winner, your spot in the Finalist Round is secure and you do not need to audition again for this season.
(8) If you “win” one of the Preliminary Rounds, you must be available for the Finalist Round on Saturday, September 19, 2015. That is the date the final lineup & prize winners will be selected (including the act that will open up Mainstage).
(9) The MainStage lineup will feature major recording artists (Last year’s lineup included Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Jennifer Hudson, Common and a host of others). In order to qualify to open up for main stage, you must audition at one of the preliminary rounds, win one of those rounds and compete at the Finalist Round on September 19th. Beyond the Opening Act, there are no additional opportunities to audition and/or perform on the Main Stage.
For more info go to dondashouseinc.org. Good luck to everyone who plans to audition.